Decades Of Success In Workers’ Comp, SSDI And Personal Injury Matters

Answers To Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation

After suffering a workplace injury, you likely have many concerns besides how to get the medical care that you need. You may worry about not getting paid when missing work. You may feel that you are in over your head with endless paperwork. Whether your employer is self-insured for workers’ compensation (workers’ comp) or state-funded, you may have difficulty navigating the claims and compensation system to get all benefits you are eligible for.

I am Megan E. Burke, an experienced and dedicated workers’ compensation attorney in Toledo. I have the experience and knowledge to assist you and answer questions you may have such as the following:

I Need To Collect A Paycheck Or I Will Not Be Able To Pay My Bills. What Should I Do After Suffering An Injury On The Job?

Notify your boss or manager after your injury or diagnosis to expedite the process of getting medical care and compensation. All employers are supposed to pay into the state’s workers’ comp fund to pay for your medical expenses and, if you are off work long enough, wage replacement. Even if you feel your injuries may not be that serious, make sure to timely report and seek legal counsel as protecting yourself should be your number one priority.

Is There More Than One Type Of Workers’ Compensation Claim?

Yes. There are many types of claims: some are for medical only; some require the injured worker to seek compensation for missed work or a lost-time claim. Some claims are not so much an injury as a condition that came on overtime due to repetitive movement. However, if you have had an injury at work, even if you have not missed any time – you may be eligible for a disability award because the injury occurred and left you with some residuals. Call us today to discuss.

Who Can File A Workers’ Compensation Claim?

An injured worker is supposed to file a claim for benefits. Sometimes a health care provider or employer may help with the forms. For your protection, an experienced attorney can make sure the correct forms are being filed with the correct people.

How Do I File A Claim?

If applicable to your circumstances, consult with your supervisor or the human resources department of your employer and ask for directions for filing a claim.

Alternatively, your doctor should file a claim on your behalf within 24 hours of your first medical evaluation to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) or the managed care organization (MCO) to which your employer sends injured workers. The BWC should then send you a notification letter and a BWC identification card that you will use as long as you need care for that injury.

Do I Need A Lawyer To Get Workers’ Compensation In Ohio?

No, you may file your own claim, but the process can be lengthy. Working with an attorney can ensure the right documents are submitted in the right order. Also, if your claim is denied, an experienced attorney can file an appeal on your behalf. Lastly, there are benefits available to you that the employer or the doctor may not be aware of or advise you of.  Disability awards, vocational services, wage loss – you do not want to leave benefits you are entitled to on the table.

How Can I Get Answers To My Unique Questions?

Consider the Law Office of Megan E. Burke, LLC, a source of information and support in the aftermath of a workplace injury. I am here to advise and guide you on workers’ compensation, Social Security Disability Insurance and personal injury claims (including third-party liability claims for injured workers).

To schedule a consultation, call 419-540-5721 or send an email inquiry.